Grandstream has been producing VoIP phones with lots of features at affordable prices since 2002.
Their first ever Android VoIP phone comes in the form of the Grandstream GXP2200 for less than $250.00.
What Is It?
If you’ve used an Android smartphone before, then you already know more about what the Grandstream GXP2200 is than you thought you did.
Grandstream’s official product description for the GXP2200 is “Enterprise Multimedia Phone for Android.”
In simpler terms, that mean that the GXP2200 is a standard desktop VoIP phone that runs on the Android 2.3 operating system and it uses a color touchscreen for simple navigation.
The great thing about the GXP2200 is that it’s assimilating with the other technology consumers are using. Its user experience is similar to that of a smartphone or tablet.
You can customize the home screen with your favorite apps and the touchscreen allows you to drag, swipe, pinch, and zoom.
The Grandstream GXP2200 will feel very familiar right out of the box.
What Does It Do?
The Grandstream GXP2200 looks, feels, and sounds great with its HD Voice handset. If that’s good enough for you, skip this section.
Otherwise, here are the key bang-for-your-buck VoIP features:
- Multiple Accounts/Lines: Supports up to (6) independent SIP accounts
- Bluetooth and Wi-Fi: Yes, support for both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connections (see Bluetooth Headsets section below)
- Plug-and-Play: Has both a USB port and SD card reader plus an RJ9 headset jack (EHS with Plantronics Headsets)
- Touchscreen: 480 x 272 Capacitive LCD color touchscreen
- HD Audio: HD handset and speakerphone with Advanced Echo Cancellation. Support for G.722 Wideband Audio.
- Standard Telephony Features: Hold, transfer (attended/blind), 5-way conference, virtual busy lamp field, 1000 contact phonebook, shared and bridged-line appearance, personalized ringtones, and more.
Android features on the GXP2200 include:
- Storage: 3GB of storage
- Apps: Download apps from GS Market or Google Play Store.
- Email: Sync your email with built-in email client or, download apps for Gmail, Outlook, Yahoo, and more.
- Video: Supports streaming video and there’s an IP Camera App to sync with Grandstream IP Cameras
- Internet Calling: Make calls through Skype or Google Voice
- Music: Stream music from Pandora or Spotify
- Touchscreen: Swipe, pinch and zoom just like cell phones and tablets
- USB: Supports USB connection for mouse, keyboard, storage, and USB cameras.
- Angry Birds: Yes, you can play Angry Birds on the GXP2200
Grandstream GXP2200 Video Features
As Tom Keating writes on the VoIP & Gadgets Blog, the GXP2200 can stream video but since it doesn’t have a built-in camera, it doesn’t transmit video.
If you need Skype video calling from your desktop phone, look to the Grandstream GXV3140 which is a Skype certified video phone.
Or, the Grandstream GXV3175 has a built-in camera, a 7 inch color screen, and is great for desktop video conferencing or video surveillance with Grandstream IP cameras.
Who Is It For?
This phone is for someone who needs an extra screen on their desk to mult-task and/or someone who uses custom business apps.
I use two monitors at work and didn’t think I’d need a 3rd screen. The GXP2200 is handy though. Instead of clicking and searching for the weather in yet another browser tab (I have 23 open right now), all I have to do is hit one button on the phone to wake it up and there it is – my local weather.
Simple example but, the same can be said for using the GXP2200 as a dedicated screen for your company’s Twitter feed, customer service email account, Facebook page, stock ticker, or whatever you want quick access to.
Custom Business Apps
The GXP2200 runs an open version of Android OS so you can use Google’s API to customize uses for your business. VoIP Supply uses a custom dashboard on our phones to display key numbers throughout the day. Other examples include:
- Hotel: Build a custom app to let guests check-in/check-out, order room service, pay a bill, get a list of local attractions.
- Service Providers: Develop an app for customers to check plan status and firmware upgrades, make payments, contact support, softphone apps.
- Warehouse: Build an app that tracks your inventory.
There are many possibilities depending on your application.
For interested app developers, click here to download the Grandstream GXP2200 SDK Framework Service Package.
A Second Computer on Your Desk
The GXP2200 is the only Grandstream phone that supports Bluetooth connectivity. Here’s the list of compatible Bluetooth headsets that have been tested and verified by Grandstream:
- Plantronics: M155, M25, M100, M55, M1100, BackBeatGo
- Samsung: HM1000, HM1200, HM1700, WEP490,
- Motorola: H720, HX550, H681, H500
- Jabra: EasyGo, Wave, PRO 9470
- LG: HBM235
- Emerson: EM-237C
- Nokia: BH-214
The Grandstream GXP2200 is available now.
Click here to read Grandstream GXP2200 customer reviews.