TruPhone for iPhone – Review Redux
Set about writing up a TruPhone review earlier this morning, and ran into a snag.
Impressively, TruPhone helf desk manager Katie Brimble responded to my initial post this morning with an apology and a few troubleshooting suggestions.
We are sorry that we have been unable to get round to your email as of yet, we are very busy at the moment. Do you have your reference number to hand which you would have received in our automated response?
We recommend the following to resolve this issue;
1. Reboot your iPhone and try this again. If you still experience this issue please check the following…
2. Do you have mobile/cell reception/signal when you initiate the validation call?
3. Do you have sufficient mobile/cell credit to receive a call – if you pay to receive calls (US Customers)
4. Are you able to receive international calls to your mobile/cell number?
5. Once you enter a Security Pin in the sign up screen and the validation call-back starts to initiate, try pressing the square key (Main menu button) on the iPhone.
The Truphone Support team
#5 did the trick for me. If you are installing TruPhone you may need to do the same thing at the moment in order to get your phone to accept the inbound verification call from TruPhone.
Once installed, the TruPhone client basically mimics the native iPhone dialing application in terms of look and feel. There are (5) distinct tabs:
1 – Favourites – where you can store numbers/contacts you call most frequently.
2 – Recents – shows your TruPhone call history
3 – Contacts – TruPhone automatically grabs your existing iPhone contacts database
4 – Keypad – in order to dial telephone numbers
5 – Topup – redirects to the TruPhone website where you can administer your account and add prepaid
TruPhone hooks you up with $4.00 in call credit for free with your account setup, which was sufficient for me to make a few test calls. Even with the spotty WiFi coverage in my office the call quality on my test calls was indistinguishable from normal mobile calls.
TruPhone also has grouped many of their international call terminations into a single rate scheduled, called Tru Zone.
I am sure TruPhone is inundated with new customer signups since the release of Apple’s AppStore. I was thoroughly impressed with their personal response to my support issue. I highly recommend TruPhone to anyone who owns an iPhone and is looking to save money on international calls….money better spent on gasoline. TruPhone scores a Tom Cruise thumbs up…not an easy feat!