Cost of IP Surveillance
Thanks to the heads up at Security Products, a study has been released by Axis Communications that compares the cost of a traditional analog surveillance system to that of an IP video surveillance system:
This study was conducted in the Spring of 2010 by the research group Lusax. Some highlights include:
- There’s a perceived higher cost of IP cameras versus analog
- Cameras are only one part of a video surveillance solution, and the total cost of a complete system is dependent on a number of factors.
- Recording is the most significant cost category in the analog alternatives
- Savings derive from off-the-shelf IT and server recording equipment
- Scalability and flexibility are mentioned as two main arguments favoring IP-based surveillance systems.
- Superior image quality accelerates the shift from analog to IP
Further, Security Products quotes Bodil Sonesson Gallon, vice president of global sales at Axis as saying:
“The market for IP security products has developed rapidly and is much more mature than only a few years ago,” he said. “The cost differences are becoming insignificant and focus can shift to the real advantages that come with the superior functionality of IP solutions, such as image quality and flexibility, the factors that really drive return on investment.”