As a salesperson, it’s ironic that I spend a lot of time convincing people not to use Voice over IP (VoIP). It’s not that I don’t truly believe in the value of IP. Rather, I am a huge proponent for the “appropriate” use of IP, where it makes business sense and offers an appreciable ROI for the user.
IP was engineered as a best-effort, data networking system with inherent disaster recovery capabilities that the PSTN lacks. Most user are, or should be, more concerned with total availability, reliability and quality of service.
The traditional PSTN (Public Switched Telephone Network) is comprised of a two-level, circuit switched hierarchy of Class 5 (Local) and Class 4 (Long Distance) switches.
The local loop, or “subscriber line”, is …
Rhino Equipment Has Released Their New 4 Port FXO Card With Echo Cancellation
The Rhino R4FXO-EC is a next generation analog PCI card for use with Asterisk and other open source telephony platforms. The R4FXO-EC features an on-board control element and on-board Echo Cancellation Circuit. The on-board control element prevents PCI bus “bit banging” which allows for lower CPU power, while the on-board Echo Cancellation circuit provides echo protection to ensure crisp clean calls.
Rhino R4FXO-EC Features & Functionality
- Asterisk soft PBX tested and ready
- Zaptel-compliant open source Linux module source code
- Proven Silicon Labs FXO DAA component – Si3050
- Silicon Labs international line interface device – Si3019
- Custom Rhino PCI interface chip means no excess CPU overhead
- Four RJ11 jacks at card
Asterisk 1.2.15 Has Been Released
The Asterisk development team is pleased to announce the release of open source PBX Asterisk 1.2.15.
This release contains a large number of bug fixes, and some significant improvements:
* Support for Zaptel-based transcoder hardware, initially the Digium TC400B 92/96 channel transcoder.
* Handling of voicemail subdirectories when using ODBC storage has been improved, so that messages can be forwarded properly.
* A problem with forwarding voicemails from folders other than the user’s INBOX has been fixed.
* The Zaptel channel driver can now support echo cancellers that provide 64ms or 128ms of echo cancellation per channel.
Click here to download Asterisk 1.2.15.
For more information about Asterisk Hardware, please visit the Asterisk Hardware section at VoIP Supply…
VoIP Supply is currently offering amazing savings on must have voip deals! Check out these deals below:
1. Free Ground Shipping on all Aastra IP Phones. Receive free ground shipping when you purchase any Aastra product.
2. Free Ground Shipping on the LInksys IPhone Family along with many other Linksys Products, including IP Phones, ATA’s and Gateways. The IPhone Family allows for stylish mobility while using voip. Whether you to need to connect to a hotspot at your local Starbucks or be able to roam around your home or office, the Linksys IPhone Family will be able to accommodate your needs. Shop VoIPSupply.com now to receive Free Ground Shipping on select Linksys Products!
3. Vocalocity, a leading VoIP service provider, …
The Apiotek VP-0002 is the World’s Slimest VoIP Phone
At only 7.5×36.5x123mm, the Apiotek VP-0002 VoIP phone is world slimest VoIP phone. Offering a stylish metal design and compatible with Skype (and other soft clients like Gizmo Project, GoogleTalk, and Yahoo!), this usb phone looks to break into the ultra-competitive usb phone marketplace by catering to those looking for a “less-clunky” alternative.
The Apiotek Skyphone weights just 69 grams, and with only display LED’s (what did you want a clor screen?), this usb phone is extremly basic. With a price of $39.99, it is worth the purchase, if for no other reason then to own the world’s slimest VoIP phone!…
Boingo Launches Wordlwide Wi-Fi Service For Mobile Phones and Devices
Boingo Mobile, the latest offering from Boingo Wireless allows users to connect to Boingo hotspots around the world for only $7.95 per month. Enabled through a free software download, Boingo Mobile works with all Window Mobile 5.0-based smartphones, Wi-Fi VoIP Phones, PDA’s, and Pocket PC devices. The service is easy to set up and delivers instant connectivity at tens of thousands of hot spots in more than 60 countries around the globe including France, Germany, Italy, Belgium, the Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, the United Kingdom and the United States.
Although the service is currently only available on one Wi-Fi VoIP phone, the Belkin Wi-Fi phone for Skype, Boingo Mobile is a solid step in …
TRENDnet Bluetooth Conference Phone For Skype
The TRENDnet TVP-SP4BK is the latest in an emerging sector of conferencing solutions for soft client (especially Skype) users. The TRENDnet TVP-SP4BK ClearSky Bluetooth Conference Phone features advanced echo cancellation technology and superior noise suppression design provides a business quality conferencing experience. This Bluetooth Class I device can easily hold conference calls wirelessly up to 100 meters away (not sure why you would want to be that far away…).
TRENDnet TVP-SP4BK Conference Phone Features
- Compliant with Bluetooth v2.0 Specification with EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) support
- Backward compatible with Bluetooth v1.1 and v1.2 devices
- Compliant with Class I Bluetooth Operations
- Advanced acoustic echo cancellation technology and Superior noise suppression
- Support Full-Speed Bluetooth operation with Full Piconet support
- Support Graphical LCD
Everyone Makes a Mistake…Mine Just Happened To Be On My First Post
Last week in my first post, Small Business IP PBX Solutions, I detailed a recent implementation of the Linksys SPA-9000 by one of my customers. During the write-up I failed to included the seat license upgrade for the SPA-9000.
Marc from Aretta Communications made the following observation (and correction) about my blog on the LVS-9000 last week.
“Very nice post on the LVS-9000 on the blog! I had a quick question for you. In your example under pricing you mentioned $400 for the Linksys box, but they were using 6 phones. I thought you had to pay the $300 extra to upgrade the SIP license from 4 to 16 phones, so
Polycom Has Released There Latest SIP Firmware, Version 2.1.0
The SIP 2.1.0 feature release is now available. The key new features in this release are:
- Enhanced support for server fallback configurations
- Addition of MicroBrowser to SoundPoint IP430, IP501 and SoundStation IP 4000 products
- MicroBrowser enhancements (Support for table tags and improved user interface options)
- Added ability to strip or insert leading digits for outgoing calls
- Updated default daylight savings time rules (configuration file defaults change) for 2007 North American DST changes
- Added support for SYSLOG reporting of system status and errors
- Added ability to disable message waiting indication on a line-by-line basis
Note: The Release Notes should be carefully reviewed before deploying this release.
For more information about the Polycom SIP2.1.0 Firmware release, …
Todd Milbrand is the Newest Team Member at the VoIP Insiders!
About Todd Milbrand
I am currently employed as an Account Executive at VoIPsupply.com, LLC. VoIPsupply.com is the leading online reseller of VoIP hardware, software, and services. I joined VoIPsupply.com in June of 2005 immediately following my graduation from the University at Buffalo, where I received a Bachelors degree in Political Science. While I was attending college I was named an outstanding student in Political Science and I was employed as a Support Engineer for Adelphia Communications (which is now Time Warner Cable). I am a lifelong Buffalo, NY resident and I could not imagine living anywhere else. Go Sabres!
What’s Todd Going to Write About?
When Garrett Smith first approached me about writing this …